Friday, 7 October 2011

Another step further on...(with some delays)

Ok, so the application of the crystals didn't go so smoothly yesterday. For some reason, despite my test section working perfectly, about 40% dropped off when I moved the pieces of fabric after the cooling period. Further attempts to iron those that didn't fix first time on again didn't work either, so I collected up all those that had fallen off and put them carefully in a pot and then sewed the pieces of fabric in to the dress. I then collected up the other 20% that fell off during the sewing process and put them in the same pot.

They're not still in that pot though, I don't give up that easily. Once I'd done all the sewing that I could on the dress (it needs hemming and some internal tidying yet but I need the customer in her shoes before I can do that) I sat down with a pair of tweezers and my trusty fabric glue. 1500 little spots of glue and several hours later, the score is Sonia 1 - Crystals 0.

It does look quite spectacular, but I have to confess to being quite glad (at this moment in time at least) that the next commission on my list doesn't involve any crystals!
And the back...
If I had to say why the crystals didn't all fix my first suggestion would be the coating of the satin, although that doesn't fully explain why the test worked, or why some are firmly stuck down. I don't think it's an issue with the iron, as I haven't had any problems with ironing interfacing with it (famous last words!). Maybe just one of those things that are sent to try us...

[p.s. thanks are due to my boyfriend for putting up with the cursing, muttering and general stress grumps last night, and for making tea/fetching drinks - he had the misfortune to arrive home from work just as the second lot of crystals fell off the fabric!]

No comments:

Post a comment