Tuesday 7 June 2011

Phew, made it in time!

I'm generally pretty good at working to deadlines, but I always like to leave myself a bit of leeway for the unforseen. There wasn't much time for that this time though, and then things compounded to get even tighter...still, all done and one happy customer!

I was asked about 10 days ago if I could make a dress for an interview, something simple but a little bit tailored, which sounded straightforward enough so i said yes.

Steps 1 & 2 were straightforward enough - the customer came round to be measured, we agreed the design and ordered the fabric that day (unfortunately she wanted something which local shops didn't stock so it had to be online).

I made up the toile ready her for her to try on...

All well and good...but there was a delay on the fabric being despatched which meant that it wasn't sent until Friday afternoon. And then to compound things the postman and I managed to miss each other (it's the proverbial law of sod that the postman will call in the one moment you're out of the house that day!) so I ended up not getting the fabric until early this morning.

And the deadline for the dress? Yep you guesses correct - the interview's tomorrow!

I don't think I've sewn this fast in a while, I'm just glad that I'd spent time toiling and adjusting the pattern previously so I could be confident that the pattern was completely correct.

I did manage to get it done, lined, overlocked and all the finishing touches done in time for her coming round to collect it. And it fitted well and looks good on (although it does need a final final iron at the time of taking this photo!)

Now I just have to hope she gets the job!!

Monday 6 June 2011

Reacquaintance with an old friend...

...of the back of the trouser variety - a pocket!

Recently I was make up a pair of trousers for someone which involved making up a type of pocket I hadn't done in a long time, but which does look great in trousers and jackets. I have to admit to an initial wobble trying to remember the best order of construction (I was sewing from a toile & pattern pieces, without any construction instructions at all) but once I'd got my head back round how it went together it was lovely to get reacquainted with a pocket which gives a lovely look to the finished garment and isn't as difficult to put together as it looks.

Now I just have to work out what I'm going to make to give me the opportunity to use it again!